Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Beginner's Guide to Joyful Living -- Day 12

The journey to happiness begins in the mind. It starts as a kernel, and the kernel turns into a decision; the decision turns into a plan, and the plan turns into actionable steps.With steps, we begin to walk down a new road.


It's tempting to hold onto a childlike hope that gladness will fall into our lives. In a grown-up world, we must take responsibility for our own comfort and joy.

No one defines happiness the same.  Happiness can be short-term, and it can motivate us to work harder. But it won't take you to the end of your journey. 
How do you define happiness?
Complete this sentence:

"I could be happy if ___________."

*I lost weight
*Met a handsome man
*Moved to Italy with the handsome man
*A blog was a success
*Found the perfect house
*My health improved
*Won the lottery

Not a damn thing matters after the word "if."


Success and happiness are often used in the same sentence, but they are wildly different.

"Success is getting what you want;
happiness is wanting what you get."
-- Ingrid Bergman.

Today I will take responsibility for my own happiness.



10 comments:

  1. In 2002, I wrote a book titled, "Home Improvement: 9 Steps to Living a Joyful Life." I believe that living joyfully is not the same as living happily, because there are hard places in life that bring great sorrow. However, in the midst of heartbreak, I've found that it is still possible to have a deep joy underneath it all.

    I enjoyed this very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true about finding deep joy!

      Delete
    2. I agree. And I believe that joy is built on a stronger foundation than happiness (both are lovely, but different).

      Delete
  2. Michael,
    Sounds like you have discovered something really valuable. I love your affirmation: "Today I will take responsibility for my own happiness."


    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thoroughly enjoying your journey. These are ideas I have been posing to myself lately (I am 66, so thoughts of time have been on my mind). I am enjoying your thoughts, quotes and perspective. For me everyday I am thankful to God for a new day. I always say it is a wonderful day even when faced with traumatic events. It helps me stay focused on what is important. I wish for you many wonderful days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all need to take responsibility for our own happiness. Happiness comes from within. I like the Bergman quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your ending sentence and the quote! Truly, we are the only ones in charge of our own happiness.

    ReplyDelete