Friday, July 7, 2017

Beginner's Guide to Joyful Living -- Day 7

 
July 7, 2017
My grandmother used to say that choices are like desserts in Morrison's Cafeteria. We make decisions based on emotions, memories, and available information. As we pass through the line, we look closely at the creamy eclairs. How long have they been sitting under the lights? Will we get botulism? Behind us, people are lining up, nudging their trays forward.


No pressure.
We pick strawberry pie.

Later, as our forks sink into the filling, we wish we'd chosen chocolate cake.

Food is one of man's basic needs, but crying over pie is small potatoes. In a month, we won't care what we ate for dessert (well, probably not). However, some choices have far-reaching consequences: stressful jobs, risky investments, unhealthy habits, unhappy marriages.

If regret can't undo small decisions, it won't make a dent in the big ones. We can't "un-pick" that pie. But we can take notes. We can take action to improve a situation.
Tomorrow, we can make a better choice.

Today I will remember that regret is the opposite of contentment.
My motto will be:





12 comments:

  1. Love this! I'm going to share this with my son who has had that kind of week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post! Yes, No regrets...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if your daily topic on joyful living doesn't particularly relate to my circumstances on the given day, I am thoroughly enjoying your very effective writing and manner in which you can make your points come alive with the analogies you pen. Always thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, you are so kind and generous to cheer me on. I deeply appreciate it, and I'm so glad you're here.

      Delete
  4. this is something to definitely keep in the forefront of the mind...thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm behind on reading your excellent series of posts and find myself working backwards tonight. I think it does not matter in what order these are read. Each one stands on its own and give such a great message for thought. Regret, opposite of contentment ~ yes, indeed! I've tried to live with that motto all my adult life. Make a decision and don't look back. Move forward with a positive attitude and be contentment. Second guessing oneself does not lead to contentment. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very sorrowful-looking photo at the end...
    It looks like she has regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have a piece of that chocolate cake!
    Yum!! The apple pie looks delish, too!

    ReplyDelete